Nevada Correctional Institutions; Aid to Victims of Crime
Sec. § 209.243
Administrative claim by prisoner for loss of personal property, property damage, personal injuries or other claims; regulations.


A prisoner or former prisoner may file an administrative claim with the Department to recover compensation for the loss of his or her personal property, property damage, personal injuries or any other claim arising out of a tort alleged to have occurred during his or her incarceration as a result of an act or omission of the Department or any of its agents, former officers, employees or contractors. The claim must be filed within 6 months after the date of the alleged loss, damage or injury.


The Department shall evaluate each claim filed pursuant to subsection 1 and determine the amount due, if any. If the amount due is $500 or less, the Department, within the limits of legislative appropriations, shall approve the claim for payment and submit it to be paid as other claims against the State are paid. The Department shall submit all claims in which the amount due exceeds $500, with any recommendations it deems appropriate, to the State Board of Examiners. The State Board of Examiners, in acting upon the claim, shall consider any recommendations of the Department.


The Department shall adopt regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of this section.
Last accessed
Jul. 15, 2020